How to Give Your Baby Up For Adoption
Adoption can be an empowering option when facing an unexpected pregnancy. During this challenging time of your life, you may need guidance and emotional support to move ahead, and we would love to offer you that. Adoption is a social and legal process and involves a lot more than finding adoptive parents. Our adoption advisors are here to help you understand the emotional and legal aspects of adoption and to tell you about the resources and support available to you. We can also provide guidance as you consider the many families available to choose from. If you need more information on any family we can provide it.
If you are considering adoption, you may not know where to start. We can walk you through the steps and explain how to give up your baby for adoption. Here are some things to do before you begin the adoption process.
- Do Some Research- Soak up as much information about adoption as you can- connect with adoption professionals, meet birth mothers who have been in the same shoes as yours, and explore the process from beginning to end.
- Receive Pre-placement Counseling- Pre-placement counseling is available to you at no cost. Meeting with someone who understands the emotions and feelings that you may be having, can help you make the best decision for you and your baby A Trained adoption counselor will give you much needed emotional support and help you analyze how your decision is going to affect the lives of you and your baby.
- Create an Adoption Plan- Adoption is a lifelong choice. You will be able to have control over many aspects of the adoption. Take time to think about the things that you want and need. Every woman is different and you will have your own unique needs and hopes, and you can get them addressed perfectly with a personalized adoption plan.
- Select an Adoptive Family- Once you get your adoption plan ready, you can start going through the profiles of hopeful families. Consider attributes like family’s state of residence, religious views, ethnicity, level of adoption openness etc. before deciding on a family.
- Get to Know the Adoptive Parents- Once you have chosen the family you want to adopt your baby you will be able to talk to them by phone and you will be able to meet them in person. Although not required most women find it comforting to be able to get to know the adoptive family before placing a baby for adoption. This time of getting acquainted can make your decision easier and many times the adopting family can be a great source of comfort and support for you as you go through the pregnancy.
- Receive Post-placement Counseling- You may feel a range of emotions after the birth. Even though you know you’ve made the right choice, you may still feel a sense of loss and you may have many conflicting emotions. In this delicate phase you should seek post placement counseling. You can also seek support from other birth mothers and local support groups.
This is the how adoption process works. Take your time to consider what is good for the future of you and your baby. You can reach us anytime to get free and confidential support and to learn more how to put your baby up for adoption.